Rocky and Mayur have ventured out to explore food from all parts of India and curate videos on Askme.com I’m contributing my part by relishing my favorite dishes at Gokul Oottupura and sharing my views with you all!
You can also upload your video review on AskMe and stand a chance to meet Rocky and Mayur.
Located at one of the most busiest streets in Kadavantra, Gokul Oottupura is hard to miss with its straw curtains, brick colored painting and traditional South Indian Kolam designs. The ethnic look and the reputation of serving tasty vegetarian food, has people flocking into the place at all times.
I have had almost all kinds of food from this place since I had my classes and office at Kadavantra. Here are few of their most delicious dishes:
1. CHAAT – If you despise having chaat from the street, you can visit one of the Oottupuras.
Handpicked Specialities in Chaat: Sev Puri, Dahi Puri, Papdi Chaat & Assorted Chaat.
I have been a fan of their assorted chat. I forced some of my friends to try it and trust me, there was a time when my entire officemates were gaga over the place. It is one of the best chat places that I have been to in Kochi. While you are at it, do try their Pav Bhaji too.
2. Paneer Butter Masala – I have a friend who loves this dish and whenever we decide to meet for lunch, it is always Gokul and we always order paneer butter masala. They truly mean what they make by using lots of paneer, lots of butter and masala in the right amount. The place earned me a PBM friend😀
3. Chilli Gobi dry – Hear this. I always loved their crispy, mouth-watering chilli gobi dry. My friends and I decided to have lunch from here one day. One among us said he didn’t want anything to eat. We persuaded him to have at least a bit. He just refused no matter what. We ordered a Gobi dry fry and visibly, he couldn’t resist the looks and the smell. He went, “That does smell so good. What are you having? Could you get me 2 chappattis?”. The last part of teh sentence was aimed at the waiter.
4. Idiappam and Kadala (Bengal gram) – We had classes from 7 to 9 am and then office at 9.30 am. So invariably, Gokul was our breakfast hangout. Being a Kochiite, I had known the taste of their kadala long before i joined classes. Let us just say that my friends who always had ghee roast began to order Idiappam kadala after tasting some off my plate. The kadala is prepared with the richness of coconut and masala in the typical Kerala style.
5. Sambar Idli – I am from a Tambrahm household and we are proud about our cooking skills. My grandmother’s South Indian dishes are very famous and so, I know the difference between a good sambar and a bad one. Trust me. The Sambhar Idli in Oottupura is a must try. I admit there isn’t anything extra. It is just plain idli and plain sambar. In a bowl of sambar, they soak the idlis and give us. But slicing the idli pieces that are soaking in a bowl of sambar and placing them on your tongue, that feels different and good.
Try out these dishes sometime and you will know why the tables are always full here. Over the years, the rates have been increasing which has affected students like us. But if anyone asks me for a good vegetarian restaurant, this will be my first suggestion.🙂
Do let me know if you visit and like this dishes.