I remember I had gone for a Vacation to Mysore, Mangalore and Bangalore. I was 7 years old then. Somewhere, I stood with a tiny banana in my hand. I was talking to my parents, while a monkey came, snatched the banana & went. I screamed and cried out of fear. They had a hearty time laughing, but also consoled me.
Children add spice to our vacations. Their spontaneity, innocence and questioning mind sometimes leaves us speechless or will have us rolling on the floor with laughter.
It so happened that a niece of mine joined my uncles to Sabarimala. She must have been 4 or 5 years old. The path to Sabarimala is very long and tiring. With forests on either sides and the hill to climb, it is quite a long journey. As a child, I was very excited to go to Sabarimala. We climbed the hill for a long time, there were leeches on the way (yikes!) and we kept singing Lord Ayyappa’s praises. So, when this niece of mine climbed Mala, the eighteen golden steps and finally reached the idol of Lord Ayyappa, this is what she said,
“Ayyyeeee! Did we climb the entire hill to see this tiny Ayyappa!?”😛, I am sure the people there had a hearty laugh. So did I when I heard it.😀
I know many people who avoid vacations thinking the kids will become sick. People will become sick when they have to. But that shouldn’t stop us from enjoying. If you have children who are of an age to enjoy a vacation, do take them. Just ensure that you follow certain precautions when you go:
1. Do your homework – Enquire about the place and the type of food you get there. Learn about the restaurants and decide which restaurant you’ll visit, what kind of food you can give the kids. If any of them have allergies, do a study about the ingredients used by people in that area. Ensure that your hosts are aware of such allergies. You can know about all this from people who have been there, the hosts or trip advisers.
2. Carry essentials – The usual medicines should be taken. First aid kit, Vicks, Balm, Paracetamol and all other regular medicines. Also, prevention as well as cure for gastric troubles. Carry the doctor’s prescriptions too. If any of you fall sick, the doctor whom you consult will get an idea about your medical history with the help of the prescriptions.
3. Consult the doctor – Visit the kids’ pediatrician before the vacation for a check up. Let him assure you that the kids are fit to endure the change in climate.
4. Give the talk – Before the trip, talk to the kids about the dangers and the precautions they should take. Let them know in advance what places you’ll be visiting and when they should be careful. Give them examples of naughty kids who have suffered due to disobedience & carelessness.
5. Water, water, water! – Carry enough water. And once the water gets over, make sure that you use only mineral water.
6. Depend more on nature – Whatever the children eat, also give them some fruits daily. Their body may not agree with the change of weather or change of food. But, their body will definitely agree with fruits (unless they’re allergic to fruits).
7. Let them enjoy – There are many things that could go wrong in a vacation. But fearing the same and prohibiting the kids from enjoying their trip, would be lame. Take the precautions that you should take. When the time comes, let them enjoy. If you want the innocent, funny and inquisitive prattling, you’ll have to agree to some of their wishes too.
The two main rules that you must be aware of when you take kids for vacation are;
- Don’t let them go out of your eye sight.
- Be careful of what they eat.
Rest is Insha’ Allah.
So what are you waiting for? It’s Christmas time!!!😀 Just pack your bags, pick your kids and off you go for your long awaited Vacation.🙂
Have I missed out anything? What are the other Do’s & Don’ts while taking children for vacation?